Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I did it!!!!

October 21, 2008
Hello!
Thank you so very much for your support in this marathon! I am so blessed with amazing friends and family! Thanks to you, Team in Training raised more than $18 million at the Nike Women's Marathon last weekend. To date, Team in Training has raised $800 million dollars for research. Thank you for your tremendous help in fighting blood cancers! The marathon in San Francisco was overwhelming. It was a lot more emotional than I anticipated! I wogged (walk-jogged) my way through 13.1 miles of gorgeous, and hilly, terrain of San Francisco. I finished in 2:56. (My goal was to finish in 3 hours so I am happy with my time!). Out of 10,939 half marathon runners I ranked 6,497 – not too shabby for the first marathon! I cannot even begin to explain to you the greatest feeling of finishing! At the end of the race San Francisco firemen were lined up in suits to pass out Tiffany’s necklaces. This is one necklace that I really earned! Finishing was momentous, but the part I really enjoyed was the stories of others. During the run one lady was holding a sign with a picture of her daughter who died from leukemia, she turned to me and said “thank you.” It was a humbling interaction, as if I did anything to help her! There were so many stories like this throughout the entire weekend. Needless to say I pretty much held back tears the entire time (well except when I finished and broke down in tears)! This marathon has been quite an emotional experience for me. It began as a get in shape goal and turned into something much bigger than myself. I love how it evolved into an eye opening experience; I had no idea before this journey how widespread blood related cancer is. In light of these people it was easy to do my small physical part to help another in need. I am so blessed with health that I feel honored to run on behalf of someone who is not as blessed. I feel honored, fortunate and touched that I have support from amazing people such as you! I discovered a lot about myself in these 5 months. I especially realized that running is not going to be my sport of choice! Sadly, I do not believe that this running thing is for me! Though, I am glad that I am able to check this list off of my goal of “things to accomplish before I die.” Time to create a new goal!
Thank you again for all of the supportive words, sentiments, prayers and financial sacrifices you made in order to help another. May God richly bless you. THANK YOU! YOU ROCK!!!!
Love and thanks,

Laura Miller

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura my dear Granddaughter. You will never know how proud I am of you. I tell everyone about your quest. You are really a blessing to me and all of your family.

Keep up the good work....

Love your Grandma Reba

Anonymous said...

Laura, proud of you, girl! Big congrats! It is a win-win! You got something and you gave something. Awesome! God is good! Enjoy the moment! Nancy, Angel's mom <><

amy dawn said...

I am so proud of you Laura Miller <3 I've done a 5k and would love to do more. Maybe one day!

Scott said...

Well done Laura! Quick question... Are you sporting a "fanny pack" in one of those pictures?

Markchop said...

Laura i don't know why it's taken me this long to post this..but CONGRATS!!! It sooo awesome and i'm so proud of you and the effort you made to help people you don't know and some, possibly you do. Keep up the perspective!!

His Peace,

-mark-